Lielvārde


Lēdmane


Jumprava

The name of Lielvārde (Leenewarde at the time) first appeared in 1201 in the Indriķis Chronicles. There is, however, archeological evidence at Dievukalns that Baltic tribes inhabited the area as early as three thousand years ago.

During the Latvian renaissance, Andrejs Pumpurs and Auseklis drew inspiration for their poetry in Lielvārde. During this period, the residents of Lielvārde collected 6606 folk songs (dainas), a noteworthy contribution to the “Latvju dainas” collection of Krišjānis Barons.

In the 1970s a military airfield was opened near the town of Lielvārde.

In 1992 Lielvārde was awarded city status. As a result of territorial reforms, in 2004 the city of Lielvārde and the surrounding rural area became Lielvārde district, which now includes the rural municipalities of Lēdmane and Jumprava.

Area: the city of Lielvārde covers 983 ha, the rural municipality of Lielvārde – 5025 ha. The area of the district is 22578 ha.

Population: the population of the city of Lielvārde is 6089, the rural municipality of Lielvārde – 925, the district has a population of 10050.

Lēdmane parish

The first written record of the rural municipality of Lēdmane appeared in 1641. Lēdmane is located at the Ulbroka-Koknese highway 30 km from Ogre, 15 km from Lielvārde and 70 km from Rīga. The Ogre River flows through the rural municipality, the entire river bed area has been designated as the Ogre Valley Nature Park. The Lobe River is located in the southeast section.

Area: 7826 ha, Population: 1222

Jumprava parish

Written records dating back to the middle of the 13th century already mention the name of Jumprava (Jungferhoff – Jumpravmuiža). In the Old German dialect ‘jungfer’ means ‘maiden’, and this was the origin of the name of ‘Jungferhoff’, which the Latvians later changed to Jumprava. In 1996 Jumprava was awarded the honor of the best-kept rural municipality in Vidzeme.

Area: 8744, Population: 1814

(Area and population data from the Central Statistics Administration, 2015)




 X